Are you looking to run your business online to sell more products or you would like to upgrade your current ecommerce website platform, but are confused about the different ecommerce platforms available on the web and no idea which would be best for your business.
We know that finding the best ecommerce software to build your online store is a daunting and confusing task – especially if you are new to the world of creating an ecommerce business.
So, here are our favorite ecommerce platforms that you should think about -
Things to know about WordPress –
- WordPress is a free open source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL.
- WordPress was first released on May 27, 2003 by Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little.
WordPress is mostly known for CMS and as a blogging platform rather than an ecommerce platform. But now because of its ecommerce plug-in, it helps to convert sites into online stores that can be rapidly downloaded, configured, and located, without requiring much additional software outside of the need for a payment processing service.
As WordPress has the top position in CMS, Magento takes the same place in ecommerce platform.
- So, if you are not a technical person and would like to have just one simple ecommerce website where you can easily update it on a regular basis then WordPress would be ideal for you.
- WordPress gives their users a great easy to use functionality with their “Woo commerce” plug-in, where you can easily upload your products, edit and sell them online with different checkout options.
Things to know about OsCommerce -
- OsCommerce (styled “osCommerce” – “open source Commerce”) is an e-commerce and online store-management software program.
- It was started in March 2000 in Germany by project founder and leader Harald Ponce de Leon as The Exchange Project.
Since it started, OsCommerce has produced a vast community consisting of approximately 270,000+ members.
With OsCommerce, you can utilise your choice of web hosts, but you’ll need to make sure that it is in a secure hosting environment. The community of users is another big benefit of OsCommerce, as there are over 7,000 add-ons in the community that can be downloaded and used for free.
Things to know about Zen Cart
- Zen Cart is an online store management system which supports numerous languages and currencies and is freely available under GNU General Public License.
- Developed by the Zen Cart Development Team in September 18, 2012, separated from OsCommerce as different project in 2003
Zen Cart and OsCommerce comes from Zen Cart’s structural changes and as it is CSS based it’s appearance is easy to change. Zencart is easy, simple to handle, modify and install.
People who have less technical knowledge can also build an easy ecommerce website using Zen Cart.
Things to know about Magento -
- Magento was launched on March 31, 2008, and developed by Varien, now renamed Magento Inc. Magento was built using the Zend Framework.
- More than 150,000 businesses around the word choose Magento as their ecommerce platform. Magento is a powerful, flexible and cost effective ecommerce solution.
Magento is our one of the favorite ecommerce platform for many reasons. Here are some of the reasons why we say Magento is the best ecommerce platform -
1. Open source platform
- Magento is an open source platform, downloaded for free. Because of the open source Magento developers (like us) can modify the source code, add features and functionality based on business clients needs.
2. Easy Site Management
- Magento gives the best options for handling multiple stores. You can even operate stores on multiple websites. Magento gives customers the ability to manage multiple stores from one admin panel.
3. User friendly
- Magento gives people a great buying experience, using its effective layout in website navigation. It has zoom in capability, product reviews, multiple images of products and secure checkout options.
4. Search Engine Optimisation (Magento SEO)
- Do not forget SEO. SEO gives your website fuel and capability to last longer in a tough market.
- Using Magento gives the best SEO because it creates clean URLs, tags, breadcrumbs, description with keywords. Straightaway this helps generate sales and revenue.
5. Analytics and reporting
- Magento online store is already associated with Google Analytics, Google base and Google Checkout. So it helps you to keep track of visitors with in depth visitor performance data.
6. Security and Payment Option
- Magento is a secure platform, the implementation of SSL security and dedicated IP is easy. Magento is a more secure platform when compared to WordPress and Drupal. This is definitely helpful in increasing the conversion rate.
- Magento provides different payment methods, allow users to make payments using different payment processors like PayPal, Authorize.net, Google etc. Customers can also pay by cheque/money orders, credit cards, purchase orders and many more.
Here are the top websites in Magento -
- Sweat Shop – www.sweatshop.co.uk
- Watch Gallery – www.thewatchgallery.co.uk
- Harvey Nicholas – www.harveynichols.com
- Pepe Jeans – www.pepejeans.com
- Alexa and Alexa – www.alexandalexa.com
- Radley London – www.radley.co.uk
- Budd Shirts - www.buddshirts.co.uk
- Purely Diamonds – www.purelydiamonds.co.uk
- Paul Smith – www.paulsmith.co.uk
- Prodiga – www.prodiga.co.uk
- Graphic – www.grafic.com
- North Face – uk.thenorthface.com
- Echo – www.echodesign.com
- Lakeland Furniture – www.lakeland-furniture.co.uk
Need More Information?
If you would like to get more information regarding ecommerce platforms then call us on 01753 878 435 or email us and our ecommerce developers will help you.